Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sewing Fool

Yep, that's me! I made (successfully, I might add!) two Halloween costumes and two I-Spy Bags this weekend! Woohoo! And I didn't sew my fingers to anything...and I did them all WITHOUT a pattern!

Kaitlin wanted to be a sweet tooth...sure. No witches or ghosts here, right? A freakin' sweet tooth. So I originally thought, no problem, I'll make it out of cardboard, but then my inner-Martha kicked in (I didn't really know she was in there, but man, did she help out this weekend!)and I thriftily (is that a word?) went to Wal-mart and bought a white twin flat sheet for $4.00. Then I cut four tooth looking shapes out of it - they go from her shoulders to about her knees. I put some batting in-between, sewed the two teeth together, sewed some ribbon at the top and side to hold it together and voila, a tooth costume! We're going to hand sew some candy wrappers to it and add a little nametag that says "my name is...sweet tooth" She loves it and I  have to admit I'm pretty impressed with myself! : ) Total Cost: about $6.00

Emma is a flower - a pink flower with green leaves and a butterfly. I sewed the three petals in a circle, stuff themed with fluff, added some leaves and instant flower. Then we hit Goodwill for some green cargo pants (that she can wear after Halloween - bonus points!) and a matching green shirt, and the Dollar Tree added some fake butterflies (one for a petal and two for her hair). Total cost - about $7.00

Then I made two I-Spy bags - and they were HUGE hits with the kiddos. I've got to get some more beads for Joey's - he's so anxious for his! They took them to church this morning and they were equally a hit with the kids and teachers in Sunday School and the nursery so I'm hoping they are big sellers at the Craft Fair in December...I'm  planning on making those and some crayon rolls at least. I have a huge list of things to make, but it's all dependent on time.

We haven't been able to strike a deal with the owner of the building, so it looks like that is on hold for awhile - they simply want terms that are unreasonable and I'm not willing to commit to what they want. We're going to look around for some other buildings, but until then I'm still helping out at the Y and working on my sewing.  : )

Hugs
KT

No comments: