Saturday, December 12, 2009

5 days a week...

that's my new pledge..or motto..or whatever you want to call it. : ) While cooking dinner last night and tonight, both with new recipes I found online, I realized something. Owen, both nights, decided it was "disgusting" simply based on the way what I was cooking looked. No, I'm not THAT bad a cook, but it most definitely didn't come out of a macaroni box or have the name Digornio's on it (or however that may be spelled..too lazy to look it up right now). I grew up in a house that we had pretty much standard meals - there wasn't a lot of experiments in the kitchen - which worked for me because I have pretty standard tastes. But sometimes I wish I had tried more as a kid so that I'd like things now...like salad dressing..okay, maybe not salad dressing. I've tried it recently and it's still as disgusting as I remember. ;-) And I realize that I am doing the same thing to my children by not experimenting with cooking while they are formulating their opinions on tastes and textures. Sure, they will try things - they almost all (except for Kaitlin and Abby) LOVE tomatoes which I won't touch, they love Ranch dressing (YUCK!), etc, but if they see a "crunchy thing" (aka onion or green pepper) mixed into their spaghetti sauce, the world stops revolving. I have to admit I do the same thing that Owen did when I look at pictures in a recipe book - if it doesn't LOOK like something that I eat already, I won't try it. So my resolution this year, there are several, but this is the one that is most important to me and the one I want to be held to - is to try a new recipe 5 days a week. That gives me 2 days to still do the hot dogs/macaroni/frozen pizza route if I want to so I think I'm good. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a dinner recipe - I could do a fancy breakfast recipe on Sunday or a lunch on Saturday, etc. Just 5 new recipes per week. Sound good? If there is a recipe that you think we should try, send it on, I'm all ears. Just no seafood..that's where I draw the line.

So, to kick it off, I'm starting a new blog (public maybe..haven't decided yet) to include the recipe, sometimes a picture, and reviews from my peanut gallery....I know other's have done similar (the 365 crockpot recipes, etc), but I just feel I have to do something to force myself from this kitchen rut I'm in....any takers?

KT

No comments: