Tuesday, July 28, 2009

10 on Tuesday time

Here goes:
1. The kids LOVE the new house. The girls think their space upstairs is so cool and the boys have been playing in their room so much more than they did before. The playroom has been a big hit also. We've played in the yard some, but it's been pretty hot so I anticipate that being a big hit this fall. Emma's already broken out the sidewalk chalk and decorated under the carport.
2. The dogs continue to be an issue. Maggie doesn't like the hardwoods and has apparently eaten something bad so I woke up at 2 o'clock this morning only to have to clean out her crate..and I mean drag it outside and hose it off clean it out. Max and Belle are still barking at night occassionally and since we are so close to the neighbors and they have a barking dog that sets ours off, I've been putting them in the garage at night with food and letting them out in the morning. It's working for now, but Fred's going to put a doggie door on the back of the garage for them so I don't have to walk them around it every night. Maggie will eventually be able to hang out in the main backyard during the day once Fred shores up the fence a little bit. Hopefully she worked the stomach bug out last night and I won't have another night like that again..yuck.
3. Fred is back in Raleigh for the week. Doctors appointments, drill, etc. I'm going up Thursday to pick up the van and drive it back for the mechanic I found here. It does okay at higher speeds so it's safe to drive on 95. I'll hopefully have it back next week sometime if all goes well. It can either be a $700 repair or a $2000 rebuild...fingers crossed for the obvious choice.
4. It sucks not having a car. Really, it does. It's really hard to go from driving all over the place anytime you want to having to depend on someone for a ride to the store.
5. I am SO thankful for the help of my family - it's made it a little bit more bearable. I've had groceries delivered, a trip to Target today (thank god for my sanity!;-), Kaitlin had a ride to cheerleading. Fred has a pick-up truck complete with moving trailer attached in NC waiting for me to come up next weekend and get another load.
6. I've met five of our neighbors so far. One brought me a cake, the other (right next door with two boys) promised to catch me up on all the mom's groups and playdates, the one right behind us is the winningest high school football coach in the state. Another works for the methodist church and lives on the property and said to use the playground at night and weekends when the preschool wasn't using it. :) Nice neighbors, I'm trying hard to come out of my shell and be social. It's a struggle, but I'm trying.
7. The kids LOVE living this close to their cousins. J & R and Alyssa come over and play with them and hang out. (I have a glimpse of what my food shopping will be like when O and Joey get older :) Rebecca came into town this weekend and we had a big spaghetti dinner at our house and then all walked to get ice cream. It was nice.
8. Fred is going to work with my uncle on the farm when he gets out. That was a big load off of his shoulders - trying to find work right now is impossible. This way we'll have pretty much the same income and insurance (if he can get a disability from the Guard).
9. The boys start full-time preschool on the 10th right next door at the Methodist church. They'll eat lunch in the cafeteria, recess on the playground. They use an ABEKA curriculum so it should help Owen with structure. Abby can start when she's walking INDEPENDENTLY.
10. Emma starts K on August 7th. We packed her backpack yesterday. She's so excited! We have an open house on the 6th. I haven't told her yet that she's getting shots at her physical on Saturday...might dampen the enthusiasm just a little bit. :(

KT

1 comment:

Jenn Sugg said...

I'm glad to hear that you guys are getting settled in. Sounds like you're meeting lot of new folks (I can't officially say that since you definitely living the south now - no denying that!). Give everyone my love.